As in previous years, there will be two parts to the Plutus Awards. The first set of awards recognizes the best financial products and services. Receiving a Plutus Award is a seal of expert blogger approval, and financial companies are proud to receive this accolade from the blogging community.
The second set of awards recognizes the best and brightest blogs and bloggers. The typical blogger maintains an active website and accompanying community in spare time, holding down his or her day job, splitting attention between building a great resource for the public and other responsibilities like family and work. Most financial bloggers do not earn money representing the time and effort spent researching, writing, and self-marketing. It’s a labor of love.
The Plutus Awards recognizes bloggers for their hard work and dedication, and serves as a way of showcasing the legitimacy of blogging as a medium.
Over the past few weeks, the Plutus Awards planning committee, consisting of twenty-three of the most engaged personal finance bloggers plus myself, have been reviewing last year’s Plutus Awards (and the awards ceremony at least year’s Financial Blogger Conference) to come up with a plan for this year’s awards. The consensus has been to expand the awards, bringing back some categories that were not included last year, reflecting the changing nature of the blogosphere.
Here are this year’s awards.
- Best New Personal Finance Blog
- Best Personal Finance Blog for Young Adults
- Best Personal Finance Blog for Retirement
- Best Designed Personal Finance Blog
- Best Green / Sustainability Personal Finance Blog
- Best Canadian Personal Finance Blog
- Best International Personal Finance Blog
- Best Religious Personal Finance Blog
- Best Investing-Focused Personal Finance Blog
- Best Debt-Focused Personal Finance Blog
- Best Frugality-Focused Personal Finance Blog
- Best Tax-Focused Personal Finance Blog
- Best-Kept Secret Personal Finance Blog
- Best Multimedia for a Personal Finance Blog
- Best Personal Finance Micro-Blog
- Best Researched Personal Finance Blog
- Best Collaborative Blogger Project
- Most Humorous Personal Finance Blog
- Best Blog Contributor or Freelance Writer
- BLOG OF THE YEAR
- People’s Choice Plutus Award (winner is chosen by popular vote)
The addition and return of categories will allow more bloggers to be rewarded for their efforts.
The product-focused categories will be as follows:
- Best Savings or Money Market Account
- Best Checking or Transaction Account
- Best Banking Website
- Best Overall Bank
- Best Discount Brokerage
- Best Credit Card Offer
- Best Personal Finance Software
- Best Peer-to-Peer or Social Lending Service
- Best New Personal Finance Book
- Best Use of Social Media
- Best Blog